Friday, November 12, 2010

Service Learning Activism Log, Entry Five.

1) Not much to report, except that I cannot attend or even assist because I am supposed to work, and usually, I would get my shift covered in a heartbeat, but I am on sabbatical and MUST work once a month, lest I get separated (fancy corporate terminology that roughly means "fired without prejudice"), and the date I was scheduled is within the last week of that cycle. I don't know how this happened, but Schuyler and I were both under the impression it was on Thursday and it was written in my calendar as such, though to be fair, I have changed my calendars too many times to count, but when I looked back at the email, it was on Tuesday. I'm in touch with Rachel and Cristina and I'm going to do whatever they have planned on the days I'm available next week (I'm doing all of my homework now, so that I have afternoons and evenings free), but I can't work around this conflict.

2) VOX's plans for Men's Health week are working in cooperation with a number of other progressive campus organizations (NOW and I believe maybe Men Against Rape) and Bigger, Stronger, Faster* focuses on steroids and their implications for masculinities. The plot summary I found is as follows:
The documentary examines the steroid use of the director Christopher Bell and his two brothers, Mark and Mike Bell, who all grew up idolizing Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hulk Hogan, and Sylvester Stallone, and also features professional athletes, medical experts, fitness center members, and US Congressmen talking about the issue of anabolic steroids. Beyond the basic issue of anabolic steroid use, Bigger, Stronger, Faster* examines the lack of consistency in how America views drugs, cheating, and the lengths people go to achieve success.
From a feminist theory standpoint, the use of anabolic steroids is just symptomatic of a larger crisis for masculinity. We compensate our pro athletes better than our civil servants, and they often feel pressure to distinguish themselves from others in ways that we may deem unethical. The most valuable commentary we can make on this film is that masculinity is conditioned through the "Act-Like-a-Man" box outlined in Paul Kivel's article in Men's Lives, and it is completely plausible that men, specifically athletes, are even more socially constrained by gender roles than women are. Being under this cultural microscope causes men to overcompensate with toughness and aggressive, for fear of being called names (Kimmel and Messner 84). In addition to the movie night, as far as I know, though the communication is limited, I believe Rachel is still planning the HPV vaccination awareness events, which are pertinent to our understanding of a myriad of issues, specifically how safer sex practices can improve the lives of both partners. Usually, only female partners need to consider the repercussions of possibly contracting HPV, but a more egalitarian outlook will yield healthier lifestyles for both partners.

3) I'm gaining a sense of flexibility from these experiences. I am a classic only child and I hate when things don't go as planned and I don't counter unexpected changes well. Because Schuyler and I were both under the impression that the date had changed, I was, at first, a bit upset because I couldn't find any evidence that I had been notified. However, it was just a misunderstanding of dates, which makes sense, since this particular event has been rescheduled and conceived in many different ways over the past couple months. I'm sure it will all be worked out in due time.

Works Cited

Kivel, Paul. "The Act-Like-a-Man Box." Men's Lives. Ed. Michael S. Kimmel. 8th ed. Boston, MA: Pearson, 2004. 83-85. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment